Ubuntu Server intrepid GUI

Preston Kutzner shizzlecash at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 05:35:50 UTC 2009

On Apr 19, 2009, at 12:20 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:13:29 -0500
> Preston Kutzner <shizzlecash at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can install it using:
>>
>> sudo aptitude install webmin
>
> It's not in any of the Hardy repos that I have seen.  Is it present in
> Intrepid or Jaunty?  As I recall you had to enable a third-party
> repo...

Oh, now that you mention it, it doesn't appear to be in the repos
(which I find interesting, but that's beside the point).  I guess I
just assumed it was there.  What the OP can do is download webmin from
sourceforge as a .deb package and use dpkg -i to install it.  I would
stress to the OP that they learn to administer the server without the
crutch of the GUI.  It helps one better understand how the specific
service works and it allows one to be able to fix problems in the case
that a GUI isn't available (webmin included).  I've found in my years
of being an SA that once you know your way around configuring a
service, it's much quicker to do it through an ssh session than using
a GUI.  And, it's usually easier to revert back to a known good state
if you're a good SA and make backup copies of your config files before
changing them.  Webmin edits the file in-place.