All in one printers

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 02:00:16 UTC 2009

Hi Michael

On Friday 17 April 2009 21:38:59 Michael Haney wrote:
> Ubuntu uses CUPS the Common UNIX Printing System which was originally
> developed by Apple for Mac OS X and was released as open source.  I've
> read somewhere that Ubuntu using CUPS supports over 3,000+ printer
> models out-of-the-box.  Show me a Windows install that does that!
>
> Anywho, I had an HP all-in-one printer/scanner and it worked perfectly
> and the older Konica Minota laser printer I got off Craigslist a
> couple of months ago also works with Ubuntu without install any
> additional drivers at all.  I just plugged it in and it worked, how
> easy is that?
>
> That is why I love Linux, it just works.
>
> --
> Michael "TheZorch" Haney
> thezorch at gmail.com
> http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home
> Skype: thezorch (Voice and/or Chat)
> AIM: thezorch at gmail.com
> Yahoo IM: zorchhaney
> ICQ: 343230252
> GoogleTalk: thezorch
> MSN Messeger: haneymichael at hotmail.com
> Free Your Computer from the Tyranny of Microsoft www.ubuntu.com

And yet there are numerous models that don't work in Ubuntu or Linux in
gerneral for now. One might get a false sense of "I can just get any printer"
from the above. I agree with the general sentiment that I seem to see re HP
printers being a good/safe option however from a number of other posts. Mine
is a HP Photosmart C4280 all in one and works brilliantly

James