How to figure out which, if any, update changed /etc/localtime from a link to a hard file?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 18 22:31:51 UTC 2009

On 04/18/2009 08:53 AM, David M. Karr wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> The most recent updata for intrepid was:
>>
>> 2009f-0ubuntu0.8.10
>> Published in intrepid-proposed on 2009-04-16
>> tzdata (2009f-0ubuntu0.8.10) intrepid-proposed; urgency=low
>>   * New timezone data 2009f: (LP: #358232):
>>     - Fix DST rules for Jordan, Palestine, and Pakistan.
>>  -- Martin Pitt <email address hidden>   Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:41:46 +0200
>
> Unsurprisingly, I just got the update this morning for tzdata 2009f, and
> after running it, my /etc/localtime was now a hard file, and my test
> failed again.  I restored it as a symlink, and then the test succeeded
> again.

When I try knute's clock it shows my correct time & the only symlink I
have is the default 'usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime':

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/clock.html

$ date
Sat Apr 18 15:12:48 PDT 2009

I also ran a few other java apps on my system and they also show the
correct time on hardy.

Now the interesting part is that the intrepid system (both were just
updated with tzdata 2009f) *is* an hour behind. tzupdater made no
difference.

I'll poke around some more when I have time, but the problem does *not*
occur on my hardy system(s) - I tested on two - and only occurs on the
intrepid system(s) - I tested on two of those as well.