Cannot find USB hard disk

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 18:41:14 UTC 2009

>> [ 5565.249788] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
>> [ 5565.249792] USB Mass Storage support registered.
>> [ 5565.250050] usb-storage: device found at 4
>> [ 5565.250052] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
>> [ 5570.245929] usb-storage: device scan complete
>> [ 5570.246558] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     USB TO I DE/SATA Device
>>  0041 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
>> [ 5570.249337] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
>> [ 5570.249407] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
>> [ 7860.433383] unclutter[6732]: segfault at 00000004 eip
> This is interesting since the kernel thinks at least at one point
> there was an sdb recognised by the server. I am not sure about the
> segfault following that line but that's a bit later on.

The segfault seems to be related to unclutter, a mouse pointer hiding
utility. Unrelated.

> I think I concur with the other posters, your USB to IDE/SATA device
> is recognised but not the disk plugged into that. That might happen
> because of a dead disk or a power supply problem.

Dead disk. Just today it stopped spinning the platters. The platters
were spinning when this test was made, but maybe not fast enough or
the drive has other problems. In any case, mystery solved.

> One thing I noticed is this: At least my CentOS 5.3 + USB to IDE/SATA
> adapter combination does not recognise the disk if I plug the disk to
> the adapter after I plug the adapter to the PC.
>
> Make sure that all is powered up and attached and then plug the USB
> cable into the machine.

I attach the power and IDE cables to the drive, then power it on, then
connect the USB to the computer.

> And don't use any force! :) (apart from "the" Force like, use the
> Force, Luke... :) ).

Actually, I like to use a 5 kilo hammer when inserting drives. It
gives just enough inertia to dent the metal parts of the case without
cracking the plastic parts. And as the IDE ribbon is so slippery, I
like to hold it with something other than my bare hands when pushing
it into place. Scissors usually grip them well.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il