when shutdown or restart ,the motherboard have a short beep

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Apr 18 17:57:04 UTC 2009

On Saturday 18 April 2009 19:16, Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) wrote:

> Lucio M Nicolosi schreef:
> > On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Evans Jahja
> >
> > <smkururu at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> *snip*
>
> > The truth is that every time you turn it off, inside that last beep,
> > just before the RAM data goes into oblivion, your HAL computer is
> > really saying:
> >
> > "I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it.
> >  I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I
> > can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid..."
> >
> > But as it says too quickly, for our human ears it sounds like a
> > single beep...

> 2001 A Space Odissey reference FTW!
>
> I wanted to use that as my session logout sound, but unfortunately it's
> not on http://www.moviewavs.com/Movies/2001.html

I havn't got that as a logout sound, but do have the twilight zone intro
running at login on a couple of distros, and on Fedora 10, I've setup John
Sebastiens "Summer in the City" to start playing from a script in rc.local,
and that gives a nice summer like ambience when booting up (Memories of the
60's, riding my Lambretta TV200, stopping off at a coffee bar in Jersey,
Channel Islands, and putting my 6d (sixpence) in the jukebox to play some of
the latest tunes, including the above one.

I saw 2001 A space Odyssey on a big screen in Jersey in the 60's. Personally I
wasn't too impressed with it at the time, but I was a teenager then.

Nigel.