missing hard drive space

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Sat Apr 18 16:27:44 UTC 2009

MG wrote:
> Sorry I was just expressing worry
> Any help?
>
> 2009/4/18 Thorny <thorntreehome at gmail.com <mailto:thorntreehome at gmail.com>>
>
>     On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:18:45 +0100, MG posted:
>
>      > I seem to have lost 500 gigs of space I think 300 is from a hard
>     drive
>      > that needs to be formatted how much is Ubuntu with all the sound
>     extras
>      > (synths etc) likely to take up?????
>      >
>      >
>      >> why do I get no accurate freespace readings? why does 1 drive
>     seem to
>      >> have shrunk to 3 Gig????? Thx
>      >>[...]
Hi MG,
do the following:
open up a terminal (i.e. a command-line) and type there:
df -h > df.txt

This will show how much free space you have

and then this command:
cat /etc/fstab > fstab.txt

This will show how your disk(s) are partitioned.

Then cut and paste the contents of df.txt and fstab.txt into your reply.

Kind regards
Eberhard