pull from the autoremove.

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 18 02:20:54 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 4/17/09, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: pull from the autoremove.
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Friday, April 17, 2009, 7:46 PM
> On 04/10/2009 02:15 PM, NoOp wrote:
> > On 04/09/2009 10:53 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)
> wrote:
> >> Hi all, Each time I apt-get somthing, I get this:
> >>
> >> The following packages were automatically
> installed and are no longer
> >> required: xscreensaver-gl openoffice.org-draw ...
> Use 'apt-get
> >> autoremove' to remove them.
> >>
> >> Ok, I understand. The problem is
> 'openoffice.org-draw' and several
> >> others are something I need. How could I pick
> 'openoffice.org-draw'
> >> and some others from that list and then run
> 'apt-get autoremove' with
> >> just autoremoving the others?
> >>
> >> Thank you. The fact that some usefull packages are
> listed in this
> >> list prevents me from running 'apt-get
> autoremove'.
> >>

> > That's actually a very good question... on that I
> don't know the answer
> > to (yet). Mine (hardy) is showing:
> >
> > $ sudo apt-get install -f
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > The following packages were automatically installed
> and are no longer
> > required:
> >   gimp-help-en libgtk2-ex-simple-list-perl
> language-support-writing-en
> >   libpdf-api2-perl language-support-translations-en
> >   openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us
> thunderbird-locale-en-gb sane
> >   openoffice.org-l10n-common gimp-help-common
> language-support-en
> >   libgtk2-ex-podviewer-perl libpod-escapes-perl
> libtiff-tools
> >   libio-stringy-perl djvulibre-bin
> openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-au
> >   openoffice.org-hyphenation
> openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us myspell-en-gb
> >   myspell-en-us myspell-en-za
> openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
> >   openoffice.org-l10n-en-za openoffice.org-help-en-gb
> libconfig-general-perl
> >   openoffice.org-help-en-us libpod-simple-perl
> > Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
> upgraded.
>
> I finally got this sorted out _only_ by uninstalling and
> reinstalling
> the packages.

That's one solution that changes the auto-installed tag to manually installed tag on the programs you reinstall after autoremoving.  Apt wont try to autoremove programs that are manually installed.  You can also simply change the tag from automatically installed to manually installed using aptitude gui or with tasksel.  HTH.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net