wireless!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 18 00:19:46 UTC 2009

On 04/17/2009 03:24 PM, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:43:15AM -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> With the wicd repository enabled:
>> $ aptitude show wicd
>>
>> Package: wicd
>> New: yes
>
> Is this the url you use?
> deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras
>
> I didn't realise how graphical ubuntu is! The first howto I find uses
> sinaptic, all the debian ones use "aptitude", but I guess that's part of
> making it easy for new comers... :)
>
> From what I can tell it removes network-manager, so what is the
> advantage of using network-manager over this?
>
> Daniel.

Here is the link with the written instructions that Cybe gave you:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php

It's all text, so you shouldn't have any problems with it - if you do
let us know. Rather than using the Synaptic GUI, you can simply:

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

and at the end add:

# wicd repository: http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras

or
deb http://apt.wicd.net intrepid extras
if you are using intrepid

Save the /etc/apt/sources.list file. Then:

wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

then

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install wicd

Keep in mind that wicd will remove the network-manager & that it's
generally best to log out and back in afterwards (reboot shouldn't be
necessary, but certainly can't hurt either).

Should you wish to reinstall network-manager, just:

sudo apt-get install network-manager

and that will audomatically remove wicd. You can test first by including
'-s' (simulate) in the command - this will allow you to check the the
actual command will do:

sudo apt-get install -s network-manager

Gary