Can not mount NTFS partition/files(Newbie)

Bob Cortez rjcortez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 20:12:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Ed Oneill <kodiack91 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Need Help !  I have a usb 500g seagate drive partitioned with g-parted into
> (3) partitions
> one partition is 3g, one fat 32 and one ntfs(formatted in windows)
> I am useing Ubuntu 8.10 and I followed directions to auto mount(with ntfs
> config tool) and manually mount wtih  the terminal all with the same results
> each time .3g partition and fat 32 show up on desktop but not the ntfs. Ntfs
> can not be mounted! all (3) partitions show up under places,computer I have
> tried for several hours over the past few days and did many searches
> but no results as of yet! Don't know what I am doing wrong!

Had a similar problem.  Here's how I fixed mine.  Perhaps it will help you.

This resource was most helpful
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions/ThirdPartyNTFS3G

found the answer about midway down the page.

In my case I just added two lines at the end of my /etc/fstab file

/dev/sda4  /media/Disk1  ntfs-3g defaults, locale=eng_US.utf8 0 0
/dev/sdb1  /media/Disk2  ntfs-3g defaults, locale=eng_US.utf8 0 0

Good luck, don't give up.

Bob