Odd mount on /mnt problem

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 17:53:27 UTC 2009

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) wrote:

>> Karl F. Larsen schreef:
>>
>>>     I was just looking for the pictures on a memory chip and when I
>>> looked at /mnt I discovered THIS computer is mounted at /mnt! Here is
>>> what I see:
>>>
>>> karl at karl-hardy:/mnt$ ls
>>> bin   cdrom  etc   initrd.img      vmlinuz
>>> boot  dev    home  initrd.img.old  vmlinuz.old
>>> karl at karl-hardy:/mnt$ cd
>>> karl at karl-hardy:~$ df -h
>>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>>> /dev/sda6             7.4G  5.0G  2.1G  71% /
>>> varrun                506M  116K  505M   1% /var/run
>>> varlock               506M     0  506M   0% /var/lock
>>> udev                  506M   84K  505M   1% /dev
>>> devshm                506M   60K  505M   1% /dev/shm
>>> lrm                   506M   39M  467M   8%
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/volatile
>>> /dev/sda5              19G  8.8G  8.7G  51% /home
>>> gvfs-fuse-daemon      7.4G  5.0G  2.1G  71% /home/karl/.gvfs
>>> karl at karl-hardy:~$
>>>
>>> I do not know what gvfs-fuse-daemon is but it looks odd. It has nothing
>>> as you can see:
>>>
>>> karl at karl-hardy:~$ cd .gvfs/
>>> karl at karl-hardy:~/.gvfs$ ls
>>> karl at karl-hardy:~/.gvfs$
>>>

>>> I rebooted and the same thing happened just as before.
>>>
>>> Something is mounting /dev/sda6 at /mnt and I can't get it to stop with
>>> sudo umount /mnt because this says nothing is mounted!
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Hello Karl,
>>
>> You have a question about a mount.
>> You should give the output of "mount" and the output of "cat /etc/fstab".
>>

> 	That was my reply too, but we both forgot that Karl likes to just spew
> comments here like it was his blog, and not actually listen to  us when
> we ask for more info to actually try and help him....

    I can't make either of you read what I have already written about
this old subject just so you can call me names. But if you did you would
have seen that for some reason not explained, the directory's I was
seeing were attached to /mnt/. I used rm -fr on all of them and they are
all gone.

    You guys like to keep something already fixed open so you can yap
about me.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI