Any Thunderbird Mail Experts?

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Fri Apr 17 11:41:28 UTC 2009

GaryT wrote:
> I've contacted an infection and plan to reinstall Ubuntu 8.1;
> then reinstall the other software.
>
> The one that might cause some pain is Thunderbird Mail.
> It's version 2.0.0.19 if that makes any difference.
>
> Does anyone know precisely what's involved?  Apart from what seems the
> obvious - saving and copying mailbox files?
>
> One could easily copy all the files under .mozilla-thunderbird into the
> same location of the new installation, and hope that completes the task,
> but, is anything else required? Is there perhaps a config file somewhere
> that needs modification before the new Thunderbird installation will
> automatically adopt all those mailbox files?
>
> Does anyone know all the facts?
>
> Help much appreciated
> Linux newby
> GT

Backing up the entire .mozilla-thunderbird directory should be enough as
it keeps all of its configuration for your user under that directory. I
used to move between distros (and even Windows) with just this
directory. If you decide to go that route, make sure you restore the
directory before you run Thunderbird the first time. Also if you have
any non-standard add-ons, you may have to install them again.

Good luck!

 -Steve