Switch from internal to external screen restarts Gnome

Gary Baribault gary at baribault.net
Thu Apr 16 12:54:01 UTC 2009

Hi All,

  I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on an HP Laptop. I'm running version 177 of the NVidia driver, and the B43 version of the Broadcom WiFi driver. The kernel is 2.6.27-11-Generic The system has 1.5 Gig of memory and a dual core AMD TL-52 CPU. I'm running the  Gnome 2.24.1 and have Thunderbird in memory at all times.

   About once every three or four times that I press FN+F4 to switch from the internal screen to the external, Gnome resets and I get the login screen .. the system is fine, I can log in and keep working, but it's just annoying.

   Any suggestions / questions?

Gary B