Linking Files: Hard Link vs. Soft Link?

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Thu Apr 16 08:19:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:44:29AM +0300, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> I'd like to know what would be the best way to link the files from the
> alphabetized hierarchy to the category hierarchy.

So far the discussion was over hard or soft links - handling your
problem on filesystem-level.  If I were you I would try and do with
your media-files what most of the photo-management software do: keep
your file in one location and use tags to put them in categories
using some form of database.

There should be applications can do that.  I am thinking of something
like miro for video's and rhythmbox or listen for sound files.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his
      righteousness; and all these things shall be added
      unto you."     Matthew 6:33