8.10 freezing a lot more recently.

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 15 19:09:56 UTC 2009

On 04/15/2009 08:18 AM, Matt Harrison wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Dirk Freitag <unreal.linux at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> This is true.  I am really hoping that I am not having hardware issues
>> already with this machine.  Maybe I should have noted, that it only
>> freezes and has problems when my girlfriend is using it for school
>> trying to take online tests and classes through IEs4linux.  She has to
>> use IEs4linux because the site that she has to use to take her online
>> courses do not like Firefox in Linux.  She uses Firefox on her windows
>> laptop at her house for these sites without any problems.  But if you
>> try to access the sites through Firefox in Linux, you get an error
>> saying that the site only works under IE or Netscape.
>>
>> So I installed IEs4Linux to see if that would work, and it did, except
>> when she went to take a test, the computer froze.  And it keeps freezing
>> (at different points I might add) when she tries to take a test on the
>> site.  I apologize that I was not more specific with my first email, but
>> maybe this is the issue?
>>

>> --
>> Dirk Freitag
>> Linux Registered User Number 487244          [http://counter.li.org/]
>>

> I think you may be on the right track.  I have used IE installed from
> Crossover Office and certain sites just lock the system up.  Never really
> took the time to investigate it because I just wrote it off as being a
> problem with running a Windows application on Linux.  I'm sure everyone else
> can give you more technical information than I can, but it's probably some
> Active X related problem or some proprietary MS protocal that doesn't work
> when emulating the Windows enviornment in Linux.
>
> -Matt

This is an interesting read:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wine/+bug/205895
[[Hardy] Wine 100% cpu usage]

BTW: I've found that using wine from these repos rather than the
medibuntu repos works better on my hardy & intrepid systems:

http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

~$ apt-cache policy wine
wine:
  Installed: 1.1.19~winehq0~ubuntu~8.04-0ubuntu1
  Candidate: 1.1.19~winehq0~ubuntu~8.04-0ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 1.1.19~winehq0~ubuntu~8.04-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://wine.budgetdedicated.com hardy/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.0-1ubuntu4~hardy1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/universe Packages