WAN access from 2 pane File manager

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 12:51:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Avraham Hanadari <rufus at hanadari.net> wrote:
> I wish to sync/backup the contents of folders between Ubuntu 8.1 and a
> WinXP desktop machine. I have been doing this between a Vista laptop and
> the XP machine using GoodSync. Some of the syncing already goes through
> the GoogleDocs cloud, but I'd like a more direct link if possible. I've
> tried pcman, Gnome Commander, bsc, and XNC and none recognized the
> Windows Network already in place, although I have no difficulty
> accessing it outside of the named applications.

Are you manually mounting the Windows network? or just browsing thru Nautilus?

If you are using Nautilus then I think you will find your mount by
navigating to ~/.gvfs
In other words, mount the Windows network share using Nautilus as you
would normally, then
in pcman or Gnome Commander or whatever go to ~/.gvfs

You may want to look at Unison for this task as well,  I haven't used
it, but it often comes up as a solution.

HTH,

Brian