pikkin up n old bone "dial up'

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Wed Apr 15 12:17:22 UTC 2009

John Heinen wrote:
>> I switched to a usb modem, usrobotics, /dev/ttyS3, com 4 in dos,  just to make sure that it is not the modem, ( most likely it's me) deleted all files and started fresh. used dynamic instead of static and when I type in pon, nothing happens. Thanks for your patience Wilton, please stay with me if you can.  John

Hi John,
you may not have solved your problem with an external usb USRobotics
modem. If it was a relatively cheap modem
it is probably a software modem, and as such will give you a few
headaches.  I have a USRobotics model 5637 that as far as I know is the
only external usb model from USRobotics that will work with no
problems.  It goes on ttyACM0 that is number 0 not uppercase o. What
type and model of modem you have been using. An external serial model
will usually give you no problems. Google linux usb modems and check
them out, or go to the USRobotics web site, and do some checking there.
Winton