pull from the autoremove.

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 15 02:25:07 UTC 2009

On 04/13/2009 04:56 PM, Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) wrote:

> habtool schreef:
>
>>> You could also install debfoster.

>>> http://debaday.debian.net/2007/11/11/debfoster-remove-a-package-and-its-dependencies/
>>>
>>> "Debfoster exists to tell you which packages are installed on your machine
>>> merely as dependencies for other packages. It then gives you the option of
>>> removing the package and its dependencies. It also remembers your previous
>>>

>>> HTH, HAND.
>>>

>> Another nice one is deborphan
>> sudo apt-get install deborphan
>>
>> When using debfoster and deborphan, one needs to be a little
>> knowledgeable, else one can create havoc at times ;)
>

> I have used both in the past, and I find debfoster better suited for
> this particular case. That's why I didn't bother to mention deborphan.

IMO debfoster is a complete waste of time. 'sudo debfoster' runs you
through just about every application installed on your system & by the
time you are through answering 'y' to every prompt so that you don't
screw up and remove something you've forgetten what you were checking in
the first place. Further it does nothing to address the 'sudo apt-get
install -f' issues that I pointed out in my post in this thread.

I suppose reading the 'man debfoster' and knowing how to use it properly
might be of help. Howver, from what I can see at first glance, debfoster
can *very* destructivec if not used properly. Perhaps you and habtool
can offer some pointers on how to use these tools without destroying
your system?