problem with chmod

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Apr 14 08:24:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) wrote:

>> It may be alright to refer to my signature cited proverb, but that does
>> not answer the question; what do I need to do, to get those partitions
>> mounted and accessible, as I have specified?
>>
>> There.
>>
>> That is the question.
>>
>> What is the answer?
>
> The question (you did create the mount points, didn't you?) was the
> answer. It was obviously a rethorical question.

The short and simple answer, is "No, not initially".

I had forgotten (it had been so long since the last time I had similarly
shared partitions between operating systems) that I had to use the mkdir
command to create the mount points, and I had assumed that rebooting
would take care of any such requirements after the entries were included
in the fstab file.

A simple question to have been asked of me, at the time, could have been
something like "Have you done mkdir /mnt... , and, do you realise that
you have to do that to make the changes in fstab take effect?". But, at
the time, giving help was being carefully avoided by one or two people,
and it took a while to extract the required information.

I thence, having been made aware of that requirement, created the
mountpoints, within /mnt , as I had/(must have) done on the previous
occasion(s), and it worked fine.

My understanding, from your last previous posting on this subject, is
basically that a sysadmin can choose to mount partitions shared with
other operating system installations, under /mnt , if the sysadmin so
chooses, as the Linux file system hierarchy conventions/standards,
neither require nor exclude such an action, but leave it to the
discretion of the sysadmin.

So, I regard the matter as solved, and, leave it to others to argue
amongst themselves, as to whether /mnt is an appropriate place to mount
partitions that are shared with other operating system installations.

Thank you for the constructive information that has been made available.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."