Alternate option f11 gain access to - minimize

Roy Smith rasmith1959 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 05:56:05 UTC 2009

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 06:38:41 -0700
From: Thorny <thorntreehome at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Alternate option f11 gain access to - minimize
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 06:01:27 -0600, allen meyers posted:

>>> On a much more frequent basis my available screen takes over everything.
>>> Depressing f11 either once or twice only revels the - a nano second. And
>>> in gmail when this happens even bookmarks and as an example clicking
>>> Ubuntu forum does nothing. The screen is like frozen. Again to make
myself
>>> clear pressing f11 only moves the screen down for a moment. Please advise
>>>
> Allen, it always a good idea to remember that we aren't looking over your
> shoulder at your screen, so you need to describe the environment as if we
> are blind (because, in essence, we are to what you are seeing. When I read
> your post, I am trying to form an image in my mind of what you are looking
> at so I can try and think of how to answer you.
>>
> Presumably, you're writing about the behaviour of your Firefox, but I'm
> just guessing with that. F11 should toggle full-screen mode of the
> browser, and it does with mine. If we are indeed talking about Firefox, do
> you have any add-ons (extensions) loaded, what version is your FF? Does
> this "takeover" happen in relation to any specific conditions (things
> you are trying to do at the time), on a seemingly random basis or all
> the time?

Thorny:
> Again apology for my forgetting your not looking over my shoulder. My
> firebox version is 3.0.8
> and the take over so far occurs in gmail which gives me access to this
> post as an example but
> no ability to minimize. f11 causes the screen to reveal the minus sign
> and the capability to minimize
> so briefly it is impossible to do so before it returns to that full
> takeover of the screen. Sorry its best I can do in describing it. My
> only other option is evolution mail which works great but no access to
> my bookmarks. Hope that last comment does not further confuse my
> narration. As far as add-ons (extensions) best of my memory none. I
> use the browser to hook up to Internet, install all available updates,
> but do nothing specific to fine tune firebox if that is what you were
> asking.

Sorry for not following the full thread of this message, but are you
having a problem with Firefox covering up the panels at the top and
bottom of the screen?  If so the this is what I did to correct the
problem.  First install the compiz-settings-manager either through
Synaptic or apt-get in a terminal.  Once the install is complete, open
the settings manager through System-Preferences-Compiz Settings
Manager.  When the window opens click on Utility on the left side, then
click on Workarounds.  In the Workarounds window, look at the line that
says Legacy Full Screen Support, if there is a check mark in the box
click on it to clear it.  Then just click on close until you are back to
your desktop.

This cleared up the problem for me.  Hopefully it will for you too.

Good Luck!

--

Roy Smith
Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex