help

wirechief silvermachineman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:25:39 UTC 2009

Well, I said thats what I would do.
Perhaps foolish to start with the older version but given the age of
the computer
and that he cannot boot CD's  he probably cannot run the more recent release's
and you are right support would be none existent, again my perspective
is trying
it on hardware that requires probably bootable 3.5in disks but that is
just a guess.
I admit to not haveing much experience or success in using an alternate CD my
computers all are capable of booting from USB so there is no need. Working with
such old equipment Google might be a more resourcefull place to find something
that will work.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:46:40 -0400
> wirechief <silvermachineman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A ex win-98 PC ?
>> perhaps it has 3.5 inch disk drives in it, I know they make an
>> "alternate"  cd version of Ubuntu, I have
>> not had experience with it. I would try Ubuntu 5.04  or 5.10 for such
>> an old PC
>
> why such an old version? I run Xubuntu 9.04 on a 400MHz P2, with 256MB
> ram. I also have used Xubuntu 8.10 on it.
>
> I don't think recommending a version that has no support and will
> probably give a lot of problems upgrading is ever a good idea. All
> versions have an alternate installation cd, but 8.04 does not work well
> at all on old hardware.
>
> --
> Charlie Kravetz
> Linux Registered User Number 425914          [http://counter.li.org/]
> Never let anyone steal your DREAM.           [http://keepingdreams.com]

Reach out and share life, care for others,