How to monitor Internet connection?

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Mon Apr 13 16:46:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Ashley Benton <chuaukantli at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thanks, but I am more thinking to a program or script that I could use
>> from the server or other computer in my house.
>
> I will check it out to learn more about it.

Run 'crontab -e' and use this:

   * * * * *  ! ping -c1 -w1 209.85.171.100 > /dev/null && beep

See if you have the beep command installed. Optionally use something
like 'play' and get a wav file of a sound you like. I don't know if
beep will play through the environmental hurdles of cron or not
(didn't try). The IP address I choose is one of googles.

This could easily be elaborated on (and should, but this is the guts of it).
--
Hal