Jaunty updates not ready

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 12:29:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 21:10:51 -0600, Karl F. Larsen posted:

> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> If you look back on Karl's post you'll see that he never did do <sudo
>>> aptitude update>.  He did <sudo aptitude upgrade> twice and <sudo
>>> aptitude safe-upgrade> once.
>>>
>>> @ Karl, you still need to do <sudo aptitude update> /first/ before
>>> anything will work.  Otherwise you are trying to upgrade to already
>>> existing packages.
>>>

>> Nice catch - I misread what Karl had written!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mark
>>

>     Yes my bad. I see from my recorded first effort I did first update
> and second safe-update. I just did it your way and it did the "update" and
> that looks good, and now the "safe-update" is still working with lots of
> updates being got from the mirror's.
>
>     I will send both to this list when it's done in a few minutes like
> 15 minutes it says :-)
>
> Karl

Karl, it's not clear to me that this stuff is clear to you yet from what
you wrote above.

Note that "update", updates the package files lists and "upgrade"
(safe-upgrade) is the actual upgrade process which can be followed by
"dist-upgrade" (full-upgrade). We all tend to throw the update/upgrade
words around with their connotations in the English language. However,
they have specific meanings when used in the context of upgrading a distro.