Jaunty updates not ready, fixed

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:45:38 UTC 2009

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 12 April 2009 22:22, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>>     I have Jaunty on my laptop and it is working fine but their appears
>> to be a problem with some of the mirrors or who knows. In any case I
>> open Up-Date Manager and it reports there are 90 updates available. But
>> when it tries to d/l the updates it spits out error panels saying it can
>> not find some things.
>>
>>     If your results are different I would like to know. I am in New
>> Mexico USA.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Hi Karl. Personally, I've no time for programs like update manager phoning
> home whenever you boot up, to see what updates are available.
>
> How about doing it the manual way. Open a terminal, then do:
> sudo apt-get update
>
> When the package lists are downloaded, do:
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Hopefully, on ok'ing the updates, they should be installed.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

    Hi Nigel, I did it wrong the first time. Then was told it was wrong.
Then read man aptitude and got smart and now things are good.

        Aptitude Update used by (sudo aptitude update) does something to
my computer, I think. According to man aptitude, it  Updates the list of
available packages from the apt sources. And this list is stored on my
computer. This I was not aware of.

        Aptitude safe-upgrade installs the latest version of the
available updates and is safer than asking for a full-upgrade.

        I find that man aptitude is quite a good reference. And the
sequential use of Update and then Safe-upgrade makes a lot of sense, and
in my case it worked.

        It appears my Beta version of Jaunty is updated to the latest
versions it has on the mirrors. Thanks all who helped me do it.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User