Wireless Internet

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 11 22:25:02 UTC 2009

On 04/11/2009 12:18 PM, Steve Reilly wrote:
> BT Bennett wrote:
>

>> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
>
> this is the line your looking for.
>
> now go to system> administration> hardware drivers enter your password
> as youll be changing system settings.  there should be one, or a couple
> lines there that say atheros hardware layer and/or support for atheros
> hardware, you want to check those boxes.  this will dl the drivers for
> the wireless chipset. follow instructions after that, reboot, and in
> your taskbar the network icon will show wireless access points
> available, im sure you can figure it our after that, if not post back.
> good luck.
>
> steve

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Atheros
Looks like you have to install it first from backports:

<quote>
Look for the ath5k module, located in the package
linux-backports-modules-intrepid. Install the package using either
Synaptic or apt-get, and make sure it is activated on
System/Administration/Hardware Drivers.
</quote>

@BT: See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu#Updates Tab
Make sure the one with backports is checked (your's will look the same,
but say 'intrepid' instead of hardy).

Further reading that might be helpful:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/internet/C/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

In general you can find just about anthing in the search box (upper
right), but there is also a 'Title Index' that you can use as well:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TitleIndex

Also: