Login Clock

Roy Smith rasmith1959 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 15:18:03 UTC 2009

Evans Jahja wrote:

>> Hi all, this is not a serious bug, but it's better if anyone could fix
>> it. When I start up my computer until I got Ubuntu's login menu, the
>> time shows 6:47 pm (nearly correct, I think this is the time when the
>> system up) but after a few seconds it says 7:00 pm, which is the
>> correct time and it looks like the clock works normally. Now, is there
>> any way to refresh the time faster at login time? Thank you.
>>

> Follow Up, just in case you need to know, I'm running Ubuntu Jaunty.

How old is this computer?  It sounds like the battery backup for your
BIOS is about to expire and causing your system clock to lose time.
It's an easy fix if this is a desktop pc as the battery is on the
motherboard.  The typical battery is about the size of a US Nickel and
is a CR2032 available at most places that sell watch batteries.  If this
is the problem you need to do this soon as it can scramble your BIOS up
so bad that the pc won't even boot.  Do not remove the battery for more
than 5 minutes as this too could cause you to lose your BIOS settings.

--

Roy Smith
Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex