Thunderbird's slow scrolling

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 23:17:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 4:04 PM, J. Limon <jlimon at eml.cc> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 03:56:58PM -0500, Tommy Trussell wrote:

>> > I'm using IMAP, set to download all my mail for "offline" viewing to
>> > save on IMAP bandwidth.
>> >
>> > We're not talking a huge mailbox here.. I delete my mailing list stuff
>> > every few weeks.. it's the application itself. Any time a scrollbar is
>> > present in the messages column, it's VERY jaggedy. The other window
>> > columns scroll fine (such as the compose window I am typing in.)
>>
>> Thunderbird seems plenty fast on all my systems, and I use IMAP to
>> connect to about six different email servers.
>>
>> Try turning off the feature to download mail for offline viewing. I
>> don't really see how that can SAVE on IMAP bandwidth, because it will
>> have to download every message and attachment you receive, whether you
>> look at it or not. On an active list like this one there are probably
>> lots of messages you never want to open.
>
> Well, I'm pretty sure it's the application itself. PLEASE NOTE, I was using the 3 column effect so ALL the messages were being listed from top to bottom in the application whereas most people only show 4-10. When I switched back to "Classic view" only showing a few emails, it scrolled a lot faster, but this is not what I want.

Not sure what you're describing -- on my system "classic view" has
about 15 messages listed in the top-right panel. I tried switching to
"vertical view" with no change in scrolling speed. (Of course maybe at
some point I dragged the panel to expand the message list -- if I want
to actually read a message I open it in a new window).

If you have scrolling issues on other applications it could be an X
driver issue (the "jaggedy" scroll area might indicate that too).

OH and I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid. Are you by chance running a
pre-release version of 9.04 Jaunty?

> I "solved" this entire issue by switching to Mutt, heh.

If Mutt works better for you, then that's all the better. You can
ditch X entirely and save the heartache and startup time whenever you
log in.