Failure to index incoming NEW messages in Thunderbird on Linux Ubuntu 7.1]

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 10 22:41:48 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 4/10/09, Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net> wrote:

> From: Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: Failure to index incoming NEW messages in Thunderbird on Linux Ubuntu 7.1]
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Friday, April 10, 2009, 10:26 AM
> Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>  said:
> > Some day someone will develop a linux virus I suspect
> anyway, so it
> > never hurts to have a scanner readily available.
>
> That scanner will do you /no good at all/ until /after/ the
> virus
> (if any that do damage are really possible) has been
> located, examined
> minutely and added to the definitions, not only of the
> scanning
> software, but also to your own copy of the same.
>
> It's worthless and dangerous to depend on something
> like that.
>
> Use a $USER that isn't given <sudo> privileges.
> Do all your work in a
> VM honeypot.
> Lock down your system instead.
> I'd suggest using pessulus <sudo apt-get install
> pessulus>.  Here's a
> small how-to:
> http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/05/27/how-to-lock-down-gnome/

I suppose there is a technical ubuntu reason for what you said and I don't want to dispute it as I don't know.  However, let me say that I've ran clamscan and others many times on several Ubuntu versions both with and without sudo and never a problem.  I've even erased what was found, inactive as I've mentioned.  I personally don't see what is or could be wrong with what I've suggested using the AV scanners.  Do agree that the AV definitions must be up-to-date but many people don't use VMs, including me and don't have a desire to.  And if one is super-paranoid aboit security your suggestions about such is appropriate but I'm not one of those types and certainly don't need it for a home network.  Just my $0.02.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net