pull from the autoremove.

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 10 21:15:33 UTC 2009

On 04/09/2009 10:53 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Hi all, Each time I apt-get somthing, I get this:
>
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required: xscreensaver-gl openoffice.org-draw ... Use 'apt-get
> autoremove' to remove them.
>
> Ok, I understand. The problem is 'openoffice.org-draw' and several
> others are something I need. How could I pick 'openoffice.org-draw'
> and some others from that list and then run 'apt-get autoremove' with
> just autoremoving the others?
>
> Thank you. The fact that some usefull packages are listed in this
> list prevents me from running 'apt-get autoremove'.

That's actually a very good question... on that I don't know the answer
to (yet). Mine (hardy) is showing:

$ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  gimp-help-en libgtk2-ex-simple-list-perl language-support-writing-en
  libpdf-api2-perl language-support-translations-en
  openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us thunderbird-locale-en-gb sane
  openoffice.org-l10n-common gimp-help-common language-support-en
  libgtk2-ex-podviewer-perl libpod-escapes-perl libtiff-tools
  libio-stringy-perl djvulibre-bin openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-au
  openoffice.org-hyphenation openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us myspell-en-gb
  myspell-en-us myspell-en-za openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
  openoffice.org-l10n-en-za openoffice.org-help-en-gb libconfig-general-perl
  openoffice.org-help-en-us libpod-simple-perl

Now obviously there are many there that I don't wish to remove & I
understand the possible gimp issues like gimp-help-en. I have Gimp 2.6.6
installed & the help file is for 2.4.2. But since there is no help file
for 2.6.6 I prefer to keep it.
~$ apt-cache policy gimp
gimp:
  Installed: 2.6.6-1~getdeb1
  Candidate: 2.6.6-1~getdeb1
  Version table:
 *** 2.6.6-1~getdeb1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.4.6-1ubuntu1~hardy1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-backports/main Packages
     2.4.5-1ubuntu2 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Packages

~$ apt-cache policy gimp-help-en
gimp-help-en:
  Installed: 2.4.0-2
  Candidate: 2.4.0-2
  Version table:
 *** 2.4.0-2 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I suppose I could pin those.

However I've no clue why the OpenOffice.org packages are suddenly no
longer required.

$ apt-cache policy openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us
openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us:
  Installed: 2.3.1-2ubuntu1
  Candidate: 2.3.1-2ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 2.3.1-2ubuntu1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Well... looking a bit further::
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hyphen
Perhaps they tried, and failed, to provide the proper update for Hardy
to 2.4-1 for those files (as Hardy OOo is now at 2.4-1).

So I do:
$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
[snip]
Need to get 33.2kB of archives.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main
openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us 2.3.1-2ubuntu1 [33.2kB]
Fetched 33.2kB in 1s (29.3kB/s)
(Reading database ... 373249 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us 2.3.1-2ubuntu1
(using .../openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us_2.3.1-2ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us ...
Setting up openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us (2.3.1-2ubuntu1) ...
Updating OpenOffice.org's dictionary list... done.

And it still shows up w/'sudo apt-get install -f' even following a 'sudo
updatedb'.