Upgrade Question

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Apr 10 18:18:56 UTC 2009

Matt Harrison wrote:
> With the 9.04 release right around the corner, I am wondering what
> everyone thinks is the best course for upgrade.  Do you use do the
> upgrade from within whatever version you are on now, or do you
> download the CD image, burn it, and do a clean install (save for
> maybe your backed up custom configs) ?

For the time I am using Kubuntu I have only once reinstalled, just
because I was used to too many upgrade problems from Suse. I didn't
know how seamless upgrades are for *ubuntu. After I tried to upgrade
the first time I have always upgraded from the version which was on the
machine. I know others had problems, so YMMV. Anyway, I would suggest
you make a backup of your valuable data and try the upgrade path
explained here: <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JauntyUpgrades>.
Then if you really have problems you still have the option to reinstall
but I think it is unlikely that is necessary. And if you decide to
reinstall, check for the option to reuse existing home directories. I
suppose that option is hidden in the advanced installation settings but
it should be there somewhere. That saves you restoring your data from
the backup.

Nils