Failure to index incoming NEW messages in Thunderbird on Linux Ubuntu 7.1]

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 10 15:26:06 UTC 2009

Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>  said:
> Some day someone will develop a linux virus I suspect anyway, so it
> never hurts to have a scanner readily available.

That scanner will do you /no good at all/ until /after/ the virus
(if any that do damage are really possible) has been located, examined
minutely and added to the definitions, not only of the scanning
software, but also to your own copy of the same.

It's worthless and dangerous to depend on something like that.

Use a $USER that isn't given <sudo> privileges.  Do all your work in a
VM honeypot.
Lock down your system instead.
I'd suggest using pessulus <sudo apt-get install pessulus>.  Here's a
small how-to:
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/05/27/how-to-lock-down-gnome/

Cybe R. Wizard
--