Constipated Ibex

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 14:39:56 UTC 2009

Pete Clapham wrote:
> Hi, all --
>
> My server using Intrepid appears to have a constipated  root directory.
> Here is the output from the df -h.  As you can see, the / drive is 100%
> used.  I was able to get some stuff out of my home directory, but the
> problem appears to be elsewhere.  Surely 129 Gb should be enough for an
> sda disk when /all/ of the relevant collections are stored on sdb, sdc,
> sdd, and sde.
> Does anybody know a way to search through the root directory (and its
> subalterns) to find out what's clogging the drive -- and then to
> determine what can be deleted?
>
> Thanks for your help.

> /dev/sda1             129G  122G  707M 100% /
> tmpfs                 3.0G     0  3.0G   0% /lib/init/rw
> varrun                3.0G  440K  3.0G   1% /var/run
> varlock               3.0G     0  3.0G   0% /var/lock
> udev                  3.0G  2.8M  3.0G   1% /dev
> tmpfs                 3.0G  112K  3.0G   1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sdb1             1.4T  887G  420G  68% /archive
> /dev/sdc1             1.4T  883G  424G  68% /backup
> /dev/sdd1             1.4T  646G  661G  50% /Major_Collections
> /dev/sde1             1.4T  646G  661G  50% /backup_Major_Collections
>

> cheers,
> pete

First of all you should check how full is your cache your system update
uses. It resides in /var/cache/apt/archives. Do:
$> du -sch /var/cache/apt/archives

If that is too big, do:
$> sudo aptitude clean

and it should get rid of debs still saved in apt cache.

Then do:
$> sudo df -sch /var/*

and see if you see any bloated directories.

Finally, you should check you home folder as well.

Regards.

ever having been read.