[Jaunty] Grub problem after update

Jim Smith jim at oz.net
Thu Apr 9 19:10:28 UTC 2009

Yesterday I ran about 80+ updates which included grub. Since then this
laptop won't boot the first kernel but will drop into Busybox and give
the error message "ALERT! /dev/disk-by-UUID/=UUID= (UUID given) does not
exist." Running sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst shows that all the UUIDs
given are identical for all kernels and identical to the UUID given in
the error message. Second kernel will boot normally.
My menu.lst is attached in case I missed anything, running "sudo
update-grub" picks up all the kernels but the end result is the same,
firtst kernel will not boot.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jim
--

Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............