DVD-Writer issues Ubuntu Linux

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:56:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Mihai Tanasescu <mihai at duras.ro> wrote:
> Robert Parker wrote:
>>
>> I am using 8.10 and have installed growisofs. I've been using it to
>> burn DVDs for years on various Debian systems without any problem.
>> Also over those years I used cdrecord compiled from source for CD
>> burning again without problem. OTOH those using K3b had been for ever
>> in trouble because that used the Debian fork of cdrecord called
>> 'wodim'. Presently I am not burning CDs and DVDs day after day the way
>> I once did on Debian 3.0 and 3.1 but my experience so far indicates
>> that:
>> 1. wodim will burn CDs. The man page states that it will burn DVDs but
>> I have not tried it.
>>
> You're right...I have wodim installed after I checked a bit but K3B from
> the debugging output seems to be using growisofs for DVD burning, so I'm
> inclining to think the problem is located there somewhere.

You may be right about that. I do not have k3b installed, only
brasero. I did have to install growisofs myself so that I could burn
DVDs without needing to make coasters with brasero.

>> 2. growisofs burns DVDs without problem but I had to install it.
>> 3. I avoid using brasero for 2 reasons, firstly it builds the iso
>> image on my main drive whereon I have no room to do it. I have not
>> found any way to specify the iso build location. Secondly when I burnt
>> an iso to cd it simply installed the iso as a file on the cd. Yes that
>> was back in the days when I had enough room on my main drive to wrap
>> the iso in another iso.
>>
>> I think that there is no way that growisofs is causing your problems
>> since it is not installed by default [1] though some of its libraries
>> are. If wodim is causing your problems and I suspect that it is, it
>> will take years to fix if the experience with cd burning is anything
>> to go on.
>>
> For me it came installed (maybe as a dependency to k3b ?) and is
> included in a dvd-rw package.

Maybe so - see above.

> Are you sure K3B is using wodim and not growisofs  for this ? (I might
> have looked the wrong way..as I didn't spend too much time with this)

Only thing I'm sure about k3b is that I don't have it and don't want it.

> 4-5 years ago while in faculty I was using cdrecord for plain cd burning
> and it was great, back then I was all console..even for watching movies
> via the framebuffer.
>
> Now for my home PC I'd like to have it more friendly so that's why I was
> attempting at K3B.

Nothing friendly about stuff that does not work. I've tried numerous
gui burners over the years (no not recently, other than brasero),
xcdroast, gnomebake and k3b and they have all been crap. So is Nero
though I've only used that when I was stuck with someone else's Win
box.

> A funny thing happened this morning...as before going towards my
> workplace I had the curiosity to still try stuff.
> I took the wodim Jaunty package and installed (also fixing dep problems
> along the way).
> I tried with K3B writing a DVD+RW and a DVD+R and it worked (the first
> one by default, the DVD+R worked by dropping the speed manually to 12x
> instead of the auto detected 16x, after throwing another DVD out the trash).
> This might very well be a coincidence..as the DVD+RW which worked..is
> handled by growisofs from what I knew in K3B.
> Now I reverted back to the previous wodim package and still got a
> similar result.
>
> I'm having a real trouble at grasping the issue and I still want my PC
> at home to have a friendly cd writing interface:)
> Tonight I'll try Nero for Linux..as I'm curious if it uses some sort of
> direct device interaction and if it works when compared with K3B +
> underlying tools.
> This problem is really making me very curious to dig for more and see
> the root cause.

You could try reading the examples on the growisofs man page. It just
not come simpler than that.

Cheers Bob