New to ubuntu

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 02:04:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:08 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 04/08/2009 04:21 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
>> especially
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailingListFAQs/AVopinionsOnTheMailingList
>
> Wow... that's a pretty broad statement:
>
> <quote>
> Don't install A/V to protect your Ubuntu system. The possiblity of it
> doing harm is higher than the possibility of it helping you.
> </quote>
>
> I agree somewhat with the first sentence, under many circumstances, but
> the second is (IMO) pure... From where do you base your opinion that
> installing an AV on an Ubuntu system creates a larger possibility of
> creating harm than helping?

There are many many documented cases of AV causing harm under Windows.
 I can provide citations if you insist - but Google can too.

  I feel (but can't prove) that it's likely to have a roughly equal
chance of screwing up linux.  I could provide reasoning - but it's
unsubstantiated. Since there isn't many cases of it helping in
linux....

But hey -<hint hint> I'm not married to that sentence - and it's a
wiki</hint hint>

Brian