Live CD Persistence not working with USB drive

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 21:43:50 UTC 2009

On 31/03/09 17:03, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am ttying to set up the live CD persistence on a USB
> drive following this guide:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence
>
> I am using ubuntu 8.10
>
> I formatted the drive with casper-rw for the label and
> boot using the persistent boot option, but my settings
> are not being saved between boots.
>
> I also tried creating a separate user account to no
> avail.
>
> Any ideas on how to debug this?
>
> Thanks,
> 	Neil

Last time I tried (August 2008) that function had ceased to function in
all release later than 6.10. Since 6.10 wasn't supported anymore, I had
to revert to 6.04 LTS, which might be your best bet since it should
still be supported till next month.

Apparently the function was there only long enough to generate headlines
for one or two releases, then got unmaintained. I don't know if somebody
would look into it for 9.10 (one can dream) but when I raised the issue
on the mailing list I got zero answers, which might mean nobody is
planning to work on it.

Loïc