DVD-Writer issues Ubuntu Linux

Mihai Tanasescu mihai at duras.ro
Wed Apr 8 19:00:31 UTC 2009

Hello guys,

I'm trying to use my dvd-writer the same way I used to do it on Windows
but so far I've ruined 2 DVDs to no avail.

No matter if I'm using k3b or brasero..the end result is that the DVD
writing process doesn't actually start and the disc gets damaged.

The error is:

WRITE at LBA=220h failed with SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=02h]: Input/output error

Now while writing this email, I just discovered that if I remove the
auto detect speed and set it to 12x instead of 16x(which is what it
detected automatically) then everything works fine.

Is there any explanation for this ? or a workaround for auto detection
to work ?

The other utilities (like Brasero or the built-in dvd writer app that
appears when I insert a blank disc) also start with automatic speed and
thus ruin my disks. (by attempting with 16x)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10, 2.6.27-11 linux server kernel

Thanks,
Mihai