New to ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 8 18:42:55 UTC 2009

On 04/07/2009 09:55 PM, Ed Oneill wrote:
> how serious of a problem are viruses in ubuntu os and can they cause
> damage /how can I prevent virus? I just installed ubuntu a few days
> ago and have had a problem with screens freezing up? what can cause
> this ?

It's _not_ viruses. If your screen is freezing you'll need to give us a
little more basic information before anyone can help you. As a minimum:

1. What desktop version of Ubuntu (kubuntu, ubuntu), what release (8.04,
8.10, 9.04beta), how did you install (liveCD, Alternate CD).

2. What are the specifics of your computer (model number, memory, video
card).

3. How are you connected (wireless, hard wired).

4. Are there any particular applications that you are running when the
screen freezes? Can you reproduce with the same application?

To help answer some of those, open a terminal
(Applications|Accessories|Terminal) and enter the following commands:

uname -a
cat /etc/lsb-release
lspci |grep -i VGA
lspci |grep -i eth