How to tell if package upgrades will require rebooting?

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 8 13:10:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:44:55 +0200, Loïc Grenié wrote:

> 2009/4/8 Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com>
>> How can I tell in advance (after the update-manager has downloaded
>> newer versions of packages but before installing them) which ones will
>> require a reboot?
>>
>> There must be a flag somewhere that causes the update-manager to put
>> the restart icon up in the system tray; how can the user test for it?
>
>     It's not a flag, it's a command in one the scripts run after
>     installation (I
>   think it's the postinst script). You have to scan the scripts (it
>   might also depend on a complex condition, since it's a script).
>
>          Loïc

In general you have to stop and restart whatever is installed new. If a
new mysql server is installed, mysql will be stopped and restarted, if a
new x-server is installed you will have to stop and restart your x-
server. If a new kernel is installed, the only way to get the new kernel
running is by stopping the old one and restarting the new one and that
means a reboot. Apart from the kernel almost everything else can be
stopped and restarted without a reboot. There maybe some exceptions, but
I don't know them.

Aart