how to try dev builds in Debian and Ubuntu and purge them if needed

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 7 19:26:30 UTC 2009

On 04/07/2009 12:12 PM, H.S. wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>>
>> Currently I have installed on this system:
>>
>> OOo 2.4.2 (/home/OOo242)
>> OOo (Ubuntu) 2.4.1  (standard /usr/lib/openofice/)
>> OOo 3.1RC (/opt/openoffice.org3)
>> OOo 3.2devM44 (/opt/ooo-dev3)
>
> Nice.
>
> BTW, where do I get the 3.2 dev build from?
>
> thanks.

http://download.openoffice.org/next/index.html

But that link uses bouncer, so you may end up on a server in chile or
some other unloaded location. I typically use the Extended mirrors
closed to me instead:

http://download.openoffice.org/next/other.html#dev2
then
http://distribution.openoffice.org/mirrors/#mirrors
select one with an 'E' near you & then look in
/extended/developer/ for /DEV300_m44/

Unpack it using Nautilus - example I unpack into a home tempdir:

~/tempdir/DEV300_m44_native_packed-1_en-US.9392/

cd to the /DEBS folder via the terminal and 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb'. Note:
I also keep a reserve unchecked menu item in Applications|Office for the
dev's. That way, when I install one all I need to do is edit menus and
tick the box & I have a menu item ready to go.

Path to the program after install is:

/opt/ooo-dev3/program/soffice