problem with chmod

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Apr 7 06:40:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

>>> <sigh> I thought he was pretty explicit - you
>> haven't created the required
>>> mount points, so it can't possibly mount anything
>> there.
>>> --
>>> derek
>>>

>> <sigh> .....
>>
>> And, to do that, I do what?
>>
>> What explicit?
>>
>> <sigh> It is like trying to get blood out of a
>> stone...
>>
> Perhaps, typing 'man mount' from the cli and reading it would be a start.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

"The file /etc/fstab (see fstab(5)), may contain lines describing what
devices are usually mounted where,
        using which options. This file is used in three ways:

        (i) The command
               mount -a [-t type] [-O optlist]
        (usually  given  in  a bootscript) causes all file systems
mentioned in fstab (of the proper type and/or
        having or not having the proper options) to be mounted as
indicated, except for those  whose  line  con
        tains the noauto keyword."

Okay.

So the lines in fstab should automatically cause the partitions to be
mounted, at bootup.

<sigh> ....

One day, ....

--