Networking issue

Jose Rodriguez joheiker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 02:39:12 UTC 2009

Hello everyone!

Here is my problem, hope someone can help.

Im trying to setup a wireless network with my Pc as a wireless router.
I have a Broadcom wireless card and im using Ubuntu 8.04.

For the configuration of the network i followed these instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Router

For the configuration of a DNS and DHCP i followed these:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuWirelessRouter

I basically:
- Configured /etc/network/interfaces with eth0, which has an IP assigned
dinamically by the router/modem; and also configured wlan0 interface with an
IP static.
- I tested connectivity, everything fine.
- Then configured a DNS/DHCP server using dnsmasq.
- Finally NAT with a script as the link above can show you.

I dont think the DHCP was working so i deactivated.
My problem is, i have internet in my pc/wireless router but when i try to
connect my cellphone or another Pc or my Ipod to the wireless network i
created i dont have access to internet. I assigned an static IP to every
device but i cant navigate.

>From the router i ping every interface and it works but when i try to reach
other host supposedly connected with ping, i cant reached it. Same if i try
from a Pc to the router. What am i missing here??? I thought it could be a
bad assigment of IP address but for my eth0 im using 192.168.0.103/24, and
for my wlan0 im using 192.168.1.1/24. The hosts then would have
192.168.1.2-254/24.

Then only thing i could think of is that when i configured my wireless card
they recommend to set it as a master mode, but i havent been able to make it
support that. I set it in ad-hoc mode which it suppose to work as well.

Any other information i can supply so someone call help will be delivered.

Thanxs in advance.

--
A day without sunshine is like, you know...night.