3GiB ram, gnome-system-monitor now says 2.9GiB

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 20:39:49 UTC 2009

On 04/06/2009 08:59 AM, J. Limon wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Liam Proven wrote:

>>> 3016MB *is* 2.9GB.
>>>

>> NO!
>>
>> 3016 MB * 10^6 bytes/MB * 1 GB/10^9 bytes =
>> 3.016 GB
>>
>> just like you would expect.  And
>>
>> 3016 MB * 10^6 bytes/MB * 1 GiB/2^30 bytes =
>> 2.808 GiB
>>

>>> 3GiB = 1024 * 3 = 3072MiB
>>>

>> True so far.
>>

>>> 3016/3072 = 2.9453125 = 2.9GiB
>>>

>> Except, that's totally bogus.  Besides the fact that you obviously meant
>> 1024, not 3072...
>>
>> If the quotient is in GiB, and the dividend is in MB.
>>
>> MB/? = GiB
>> MB/GiB = ?
>>
>> So how many MB are there in a GiB, really?
>>
>> 1 GiB * 2^30 bytes/GiB * 1 MB/10^6 bytes = 1073.7 MB
>>
>> NOT 1024 MB.
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>>

> Well, if htop is reporting that I do indeed have over 3GiB installed,
> then why is gnome-system-monitor reporting a different number?
>
> Then again, I've learned to have lowered expectations for that program
> over the years. (Hence why htop is installed at all..)

The archives for this list contains many discussions regarding this...
Sample:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-October/161777.html

This might be helpful and/or confusing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

FWIW htop on my systems report 'MB' rounded & system monitor reports
'MiB' or 'GiB'. On a 1G system (Hardy):

SM: 1010.3 Mib
htop: 1010MB

On a 384MB (Intrepid)
SM: 375.4 Mib
htop: 375MB

I have to admit that it's all still somewhat confusing to me. I much
prefer the old-school 1024, etc., etc. Here is a handy online converter
that you might want to bookmark:

http://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php