Jaunty beta upgrade

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 19:55:28 UTC 2009

2009/4/6 Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net>:
> Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>  said:
>> Anyone reckon these things are worth filing as bugs?
>
> I'm pretty sure that the new notifications are a feature, not a bug.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
> --
> Nice computers don't go down.
>        Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
>                "The Barsoom Project"

Oh, I know that! I can tell the difference from a new feature and a
bug. Sometimes even between one of the famous "undocumented features"
and a bug, too. ;¬)

What I was getting at was this: without Compiz, they're ugly and
rather intrusive, so I'd like to either reconfigure them or turn them
off - but I can't do that without knowing what is providing them or
what they are called.

Now I have "libnotify" as a lead, I shall JFGI and see what I can find out.

I've been using Jaunty for a couple of days now, as Linux can connect
to my home WLAN perfectly reliably whereas XP on this machine seldom
can. I must say that whereas it looks pleasant, it's significantly
slower than before and noticeably slower than XP SP3, even with
antivirus and antispyware running on XP. :¬(

It may be time to start experimenting with Xubuntu or Crunchbang or
something, I think...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508