Jaunty beta - lost my nvidia drivers

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Mon Apr 6 17:18:52 UTC 2009

<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

http://www.google.com/search?q=jaunty+nvidia+drivers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

> The first hit said the 108.11 driver was the latest recommended
> driver. Sorry, haven't installed jaunty yet so can't comment on it.
>  However, it's not too uncommen having to install a newer driver
> especially after a new kernel is installed or perhaps it's a bug.
> If it were me I'd do an 'aptitude search nvidia' to see what is
> availabe in the proprietary drivers that might suit you needs.
> Also, reboot in recovery mode and select xfix, let it run to
> completion, then continue the boot and it might fix X. I assume
> that xfix is still there in Jaunty beta. You might also google for
> your video chip+jaunty and perhaps locate the specific nvidia
> module recommended for our card/chip. there are lots of googling
> possibilities that may help solve your problem. HTH, Leonard
> Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

I tried re-downloading each of the nvidia drivers in turn from newest
to oldest. They *all* cause the crash on Jaunty so for now I'm leaving
it on the open source driver. It occurred with the most recent updates
to the Jaunty beta I installed (yesterday morning). I'm OK with the
screen the way it is for now until it's fixed upstream since it's
already an identified problem. The xfix is available as a drop-down
option on the recovery menu. That's what I used to get back up and
running.
NP: nothing