3GiB ram, gnome-system-monitor now says 2.9GiB

J. Limon jlimon at eml.cc
Mon Apr 6 14:44:12 UTC 2009

Rashkae wrote:
> J. Limon wrote:
>

>> Hm, time to figure out where that missing 0.01GiB is going.
>>

> I think, as you've already found, it's going straight to the on-board
> video.. As you reported, if you don't blacklist the modules, they load
> and even report the amount of memory being reserved.  I can only
> conclude that the video is not as disabled in the bios as you think it
> is.  (Not to say you did anything wrong, this could just as easy be a
> fault in the bios as anything, if it doesn't actually disable the
> on-board chip regardless of options you choose.).  The real mystery is
> why your previous distro was reporting the full 3 Gig.

I actually did go ahead and blacklist the modules, so now dmesg doesn't
even report the memory being "stolen" (its words, not mine.)

And you're right - I'm extremely curious as to why Mint reported it as
3.0GiB as well.

I'll check my BIOS settings tonight to 100% verify all that can be done,
is done there.

--
"If a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be solved, worrying will do no good."