/home partition

Allen Meyers texas.chef94 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 12:54:20 UTC 2009

Allen Meyers
texas.chef94 at gmail.com
http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/allthefolks_photos
(Family Photo Site)
http://linuxexperience.livejournal.com
(My Linux Blog)

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Allen Meyers wrote:
>
>> have goggled a bunch on this home partition
>> thing and I did not accept it originally on the live CD option.
>
> I do highly recommend a home partition.
>
>>Please advise and if it a re-install and accept from live CD well
> advise as well, but I do want
>> a functioning home partition and do what I must do to maintain it's
>> functionality.
>
> Backing up and reinstalling would certainly be easiest for a new user.
> My theory on repartitioning is that lossless repartitioning is possible
> (http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/04/01/095755.php) but it's never
> guaranteed. So, you have to backup first, and if you're going to backup
> first...you might as well blow everything away.
>
> As far as advice, not sure exactly what you're asking.  It always helps
> to paste in your current partition layout when asking such questions.  Run:
>
> sudo parted /dev/sda print
>
> That will print your partition table.  Then, we can give more informed
> advice.
>
> Matt Flaschen

I appreciate that response and welcomed that command as I would have
done that had I know. However I tried it in both regular terminal and
root terminal
This is response regular terminal
allen at debian:~$ sudo parted /dev/sda print

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

    #1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for allen:
allen is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
allen at debian:~$
This from root terminal with sudo and without
debian:/home/allen# sudo parted /dev/sda print
sudo: parted: command not found
debian:/home/allen# parted/dev/sda print
bash: parted/dev/sda: No such file or directory
debian:/home/allen#

Allen