Notebook video card help

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 23:48:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 17:52, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ok, now let me rain on your parade. 8-) Your Nvidia cards seem to be a
> much higher model number than mine is, and also have a lot more RAM of
> their own, and you *are* installing to 8.10, whereas I'm still using
> 8.04, so things may have improved somewhat, but in my experience Nvidia
> drivers can be a real bear to get your system to begin using.
>
> When I first installed Ubuntu it took four or five tries with different
> methods, to get Ubuntu to start using the Nvidia driver instead of the
> the default vga driver. Once it does finally take, and begin being used,
> they work really well, and 3D, and acceleration and all of those good
> things seem to work great.
>
> The thing that finally got Ubuntu to use the Nvidia driver in my case,
> was using a package called displayconfig-gtk which installs as "Screens
> and Graphics" on the Applications, Other menu. This package allows you
> to select Brand name and Model numbers for your video card and monitor
> from lists in it's interface, and then writes the appropriate settings
> to your xorg.conf file.
>
> Many other people have had battles with their setups when attempting to
> get Nvidia video card drivers installed, as a quick Google should show
> you, and different methods were needed in each different situation to
> get them working, so you might do some reading up on threads about the
> problem, to get an idea of some of the things you can try if it doesn't
> go smoothly for you either.
>
> That being said, I hope you actually report back that 8.10 has solved
> the problem, and you have no problems with them at all. 8-)
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Your comments are exactly why I posed the question.  I haven't had
any problems with either Intel or ATI - but have read the horror stories
about Nvidia.  However, I thought most of the problems had been solved
as Cybe R. Wizard and Lucio pointed out (tnx).  If I decide to take the
risk and buy the laptop, I will report back with the results.

again, tnx to all
-rich