Keyboard Lag

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sun Apr 5 18:31:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Vincent Trouilliez
> <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
>> I am not sure what I am about to describe is your problem, but at least
>> it's a potential lead.
>> My problem was that when I was typing a long e-mail, regularly the
>> cursor would stop typing my text, it would hang for a few seconds, then
>> the text I typed during this interval would appear all of a sudden.
>> I found that the problem was two fold:

Sorry to bring up a dead soldier, but I just upgraded from 8.04 to
8.10 and immediately found myself in a similar situation. This is
maybe my 4th Ubuntu upgrade on this system, so I know how it should
respond. Changing desktops from screen 1 to screen 2 == irritatingly
slow. Typing in most apps -- EVEN in a local terminal -- would hang
for a second or so, like the system was very busy. But it wasn't.
Nothing ususual would show in top anyway. And I was doing nothing
different than what I normally have done on this system.

The upgrade did put me in a much higher screen resolution, 1360x768,
and a dpi of 108 (wierd). I really kind of liked that, but tried
dropping that back down. That made an immediate difference, but its
still slower than previously. I then found X using more CPU than I
could remember, but not really spiking just using an inordinate amount
of CPU. Played around with preferences, and found one or more of
themes effected CPU. So, after tinkering with this stuff for a couple
of hours, it is better, but not as responsive as 8.04.

--
Hal