problem with chmod

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 12:52:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 03:55:14 +0800, Bret Busby posted: [...]
> :~$ cat /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information. # # <file system> <mount
>        proc    defaults        0       0 # /dev/sda8
> UUID=3bb93d1c-1875-4036-90c7-846e954ceb45 /data         ext3    defaults
>      0       0 # /dev/sda5
> UUID=cb771616-3630-4139-9b1d-c3fb499d9949 /debian_home  ext3    defaults
>      0       0 # /dev/sda7
> UUID=1b72f837-17e1-4af9-9f22-31dc9a191657 /               ext3
> relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1 # /dev/sda6
> UUID=b421ce00-c5cc-4df1-9102-65b0b256376d none            swap    sw
>        0       0 /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660
> user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0 /dev/scd1       /media/cdrom1
> udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0 /dev/fd0
> /media/floppy0
>  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

Well Bret, assuming you have the correct UUIDs, those partitions should be
mounted in the filesystem, however, you don't mention where you expect
them to be mounted, what are you trying to achieve?

[...]
>>[Thorny] So, list the two partitions you want to mount at boot so we can
>>compare them to your fstab.
>>

>[Bret] The two partitions that I want to be able to mount  at system bootup in
> the Ubuntu system, are sda8 and sda5, as shown in the fstab file above.
> sda5 is the /home partition of my Debian system.

sda5 is not the /home of your filesystem, the way you have the fstab
written it is the /debian_home in your filesystem, your filesystem will
not see that as home.

sda8 is to be mounted at /data in your filesystem, nothing wrong with
that, however, remember because it's mounted in the root of your
filesystem, as a regular user, you will have limited permissions on that
folder. It's only in your home that you have permissions necessary to
write, that's part of the security model of the nix filesystem

 [...]
> I assume that the command that should be used for mounting the
> partitions manually, is mount.

Yes, correct. If you give the command without anything else it will output
your current mounts. I mentioned that to you previously but you may not
remember.