Thoughts about finding viruses in email inboxes

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sun Apr 5 07:00:54 UTC 2009

David M. Karr wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

>>> 'Phishing.Heuistics.Email.SpoofedDomain and
> [...]
>>> Disclaimer: I also use BD comercial licenses to scan
>>> Windows servers for
>>> my customers for years, and my personal use machines (linux
>>> and
>>> windows); beyond that I've no other relationship with
>>> BD.
>>>

>>>   </pre>
>>> I accidentally lost the reply you added after this, but I
>>> read it in
>>> the archives.<br>
>>> As I suspected, there seems to be some issue with the
>>> variation of
>>> BitDefender that I installed.  I followed the
>>> instructions at <<a rel="nofollow"
>>>  target="_blank"
>>> href="http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/#">http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/#</a>>,
>>> but I don't have a "BitDefender" entry in
>>> "Applications"->"System
>>> Tools", and I don't have a "bdgui"
>>> executable.  The following is the
>>> contents of "/opt/BitDefender/bin":<br>
>>> davidkarr at davidkarr-desktop$ ls
>>> /opt/BitDefender/bin<br>
>>> ./
>>> bdcharts*     bdlived*
>>> bdmond*   bdsafe.bin*  bdsu*<br>
>>> ../
>>> bdcourier*
>>>  bdlogd*     bdqmail*
>>> bdscand*
>>> common-setup.sh*<br>
>>> bd*
>>> bdemagentd*
>>>  bdmaild*    bdregd*
>>> bdsmtpd*
>>> mail-setup.sh*<br>
>>> bdcgated*  bdemclientd*  bdmilterd*
>>> bdsafe@   bdsnmpd*<br>
>>> I have no "update-menus" executable (I looked
>>> everywhere), if that's
>>> relevant.<br>
>>>

>> I'm not real sure what you are looking for but I know that NoOP is gone for the weekend, sailing, and wont be back until Monday. If you are looking for the cli commands for BD they are:
>>
>> bdscan for the cli and
>> bdgui for the gui but starting it from the cli. The menu item for BDSCAN is called Antimalware Scanner and just below the main title is Bit Defender Scanner greyed out.  It had a red icon globe that is serated.  At least that is how it appears on my Intrepid Kubuntu desktop using the 64 bit version. Use the above cli commands with the --help option to see what the available options are or read the manuals.
>> I'm not sure but it appears that you downloaded BD from their site. You can download it from ubuntu by adding the following to your sources.list or in software sources:
>> deb http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/ bitdefender non-free
>>
>> I can attest that BD is significantly faster scanning than clamscan is as NoOp pointed out.  HTH.
>>
>> Leonard Chatagnier
>> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
>>

> I followed the instructions at
> <http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/#> , which references the line
> you refer to.  It didn't give me any of the command-line tools.
I just had a look at those instructions, and if you followed them to the
letter, all you have installed so far is the email scanning portion of
Bit Defender. I don't know how hung up you are on using the command
line, and apt-get, but my recommendation would be to open Synaptic
Package Manager from your System, Administration menu, and use it to get
the rest of the Bit Defender packages.

With Synaptic, you can use it's Search box to search on "Title Only"
[which is fastest] for the string "bd" since all of their packages seem
to start with those two letters, then check mark all of the matching
packages, that say they are part of Bit Defender in their descriptions.
Next just click "Apply" to get the install under way.

I'm pretty sure that the same sources.list in use by apt-get, is used by
Synaptic, so the Bit Defender repository should already be enabled, and
upon starting up Synaptic does a repository update immediately, so the
package list it uses is always up to date when you begin using it.

Once the installation completes, you will be able to select any of the
Bit Defender packages installed, and then select their "Installed Files"
tab to see where everything has been put. That comes in pretty handy
when the occasional poorly written package doesn't install itself to the
menu as it should.

The other day I installed two GUI front ends for the nmap networking
security tool, and neither of them installed themselves to the menu, so
I had to do that part for them.

Hope this helps!

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com